If you have employees who are working away from home or commuting long distance, then you might be interested to know about Monday to Friday lettings. Weekday lodgings are increasingly popular with people working away from home or as an alternative to a lengthy commute.
Usually the room is taken for four nights a week, Monday to Thursday, but there are many variations. These include:
- A room for three nights a week, usually Monday to Wednesday, where staff are allowed to work at home on Fridays.
- A different two or three night a week combination.
- Staff who are based away from home and travel extensively may rent a weekday room which they use for (say) ten variable nights a month.
If you have staff who are overseas commuters, they are probably staying in a hotel near their place of work. They could be weekly commuting from abroad. Or you may allow more flexible arrangements such as working for every other week and working from home the rest of the time. Another common flexible arrangement is to work ten days and return home for four days, which translates to nine nights continuously (often Tuesday night to a week on Wednesday night) and then five nights at home.
Employment situations that can be improved by renting Monday to Friday
The employee is:
- working away from home on contract
- trying to alleviate a horrible commute every day
- suffering poor productivity and moral caused by unpleasant commute
- unable to afford the costs of commuting any longer
- unable to relocate for family reasons
- unable to cover for maternity leave, because it’s too far to commute
- unable to take secondment, because it’s too far to commute
- asking to work from home, but employer doesn’t think this appropriate
- suffering from exhaustion and stress due to commute but can’t work from home
- Employee and partner have great jobs, but they are miles apart. Either or both have to commute long distance.
- en-route to marital breakdown.
- complaining about staying in hotels during the week
- not seeing enough of their family.
The benefits of your employees renting a room from Monday to Friday
In the above situations, you may consider suggesting your employee looks for a Monday to Friday let.
- Improved productivity
- Happier, less stressed and reinvigorated employees
- Lower cost than commuting or staying in hotels, bed and breakfast or permanent lodgings
- Employee is more flexible in their weekday working hours.
- Reduced transportation needs reducing your carbon footprint